The key to a successful life is having the right mindset. Having the right mindset when it comes to exercise and nutrition is especially important. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines mindset as “a particular way of thinking”. To get in the best shape of your life you need to acquire the right mindset.
Mindsets have been studied in psychology for many years. A person’s ability to stick with an exercise or nutrition program can be related to their mindset and how they think. For example, if a person has a negative view of exercise and nutrition, the chances of them starting a program or even sticking with a program will be pretty slim. Compare this to a person with a positive view of exercise and nutrition, they will have a better chance of sticking with a program.
Mindset played a key role during my transformation. I’ve tried some of the best exercise and nutrition programs in existence, but I did not see results because I did not have the right mindset to successfully complete the programs. I had failure mindset. I spent many years starting and quitting. I was getting no where fast. This experience taught me the importance of having the right mindset. When I provide coaching to my clients, I focus heavily on mindset and goal setting. If we can get this part nailed down in the beginning, the exercise and nutrition becomes simple.
Here are five simple steps to help you get into the right mindset for exercise and nutrition:
1. Set S.M.A.R.T Goals – Goals need to be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound.
2. Develop a “No Excuses Mentality” – A no excuses mindset positions your thinking to accept nothing but action towards your goals. If your goals are meaningful and a top priority, you will not allow any excuses to stand in the way of reaching your goals.
3. Mastery of Self – You need to develop high sense of self awareness and have self control. At times we can be our own worst enemy. Learning to master your thoughts, emotions, and actions can lead to a healthy more productive life.
4. Be Positive – Positive thinking goes hand in hand with success. Positive thinking brings about optimism and motivates toward success. As mentioned above, a person with a positive view of exercise and nutrition has a better chance of sticking with a program.
5. Have Fun – Find a program and/or trainer that you enjoy. Successful people enjoy what they are doing and learn to have fun along the way!
Until next time my Friends! Be more, Do More! Let’s Go!